Metropower Portal
Metropower Portal
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

head gasket sorted :) , ohh no new problem :( :cry: :S
Moderators:

Technical Area-> TechnicalMessage format

steve_b9
Posted 14/2/2006 1:46 PM (#109814)
Subject: head gasket sorted :) , ohh no new problem :( :cry: :S

Drug Wagon!

i now own a white r100 1.1 past down to me from my mum, the head gasket blew when she own it, tryed fixing it for her and some tw*t i was working with got the timing out, bent all 4 inlet valves and wasted a weekends work, mum got a new can and gave me the dead rover to fix as i had just enroled on a 1st year motor vehicle coarse with gloscat.

to cut an even longer story short ive fixed it all my self and got it running hurray!!!, after atleast 8 months of putting it off.

but now its gone from fairly easy job to a f***ing anoying and mind boggling job, because there is now a squeek from the camshaft, so stripped the engine down to the cam shaft again, for the 3rd time, to find that a the oil channels in the carrier were blocked and there was metal fillings in the camshaft bearings, tiny minute scores in the bearings but nothing too bad, so i cleaned it all up heavily oiled the bearings and the shaft and put it back together, start it up after 3 hours of work sounds fine for a few minutes then comes back, b*ll*cks,

can some one please give me some suggestions as to what the problem could be,
i recon a possibility of it being the oil seals.

its a constant squeel from the cam shaft area sounds abit like rubber on metal, i will try doing the oil seals any way.
cheers,
steve

Metro Mad Boy
Posted 14/2/2006 2:19 PM (#109822 - in reply to #109814)
Subject: RE: head gasket sorted :) , ohh no new problem :( :cry: :S

Mad about Metros

i would say check the oil seals and while your there replace the big end bearings on the con rods as the metal fillings have probubly done more damage than you my think i an doin a similar course at evesham and i have finished my level 1 engines so i know what i saying check all the journals on the crankshaft including the journals that use clamps on them to hold the crankshaft in the block check that it isnt a belt mating the noise before first aswell cause it will be a waste o time put a drop of oil on the alternater belt if the sound if decreased or totally gone the its just the alternater belt (dont for get to rub the oil of after would tho) hope that helps mate

steve_b9
Posted 14/2/2006 4:06 PM (#109916 - in reply to #109822)
Subject: RE: head gasket sorted :) , ohh no new problem :( :cry: :S

Drug Wagon!

its definately not a belt because they only squeel under excelleration, its not down at the crank end of the engine its at the top end and sounds like the camshaft area, although the cam belt needs a change thats not touching any thing to make the noise.
sorry i should have put this in in the first place, the squeel/squeek only starts when the engine has warmed up, also when the problem first came up i thought it might have just been the oil channels being blocked which they were, so i poured oil over the carrier where each bearing is and it seemed to go for a while.
cheers
steve
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software