Metropower Portal
Metropower Portal
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Back here with ideas and advice needed....
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   General Discussions-> Forum closed - use www.metropower.infoMessage format

AnArmourer
Posted 1/6/2015 12:29 AM (#718388)
Subject: Back here with ideas and advice needed....
New user

I owned an M plated GTI about 10 years ago and hve decided to build a 1.8 now earning more money and having garaGe space. Seems i've just missed out on a mint shell by a couple of weeks.....bummer!

Are parts fairly easy to come by? As in what i'd need to undertake a conversion?

Pretty sure 10 years ago parts weren't as sparcSe. Lol. Ideally wanting a GTI to do the conversion with as a start rather than arse about with welding and poaching to create the spec.

Any reccomended build threads I can scan through etc?

Cheers all! Deano.
The Lawman
Posted 1/6/2015 2:53 PM (#718392 - in reply to #718388)
Subject: RE: Back here with ideas and advice needed....

Regular

Hi,

1. The good news is the parts for a vvc conversion are readily available and fairly cheap (best to get a donor car (e.g. MGF))

2. The bad news is the metro. An unmodified GTi is a very rare car now and they command high prices if you can even find one for sale.

3. Your best bet is to buy a multi point injection Rover 100 and convert that as it makes the conversion easier and cheaper. As for the styling... the metro GTi front end bolts on no problem and the bits pop up quite often

4. This chap has done the conversion from rover 100 to 1.8 GTi- Think it looks very smart http://metropower.org.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=78983&start=51&posts=75

Hope this helps
AnArmourer
Posted 3/6/2015 6:10 PM (#718422 - in reply to #718388)
New user

Cheers Lawman.

I'm aware that they command a premium now, and the rust issue rears it's ugly head! I think the best bet would to go with a 100 MPI shell for now. Then upgrade to GTI look-a-likey as/when parts come up. Only thing I don't like about the lower spec is no ARB's or damper mount plates in the wings. But I can get around that I suppose. Although ARB's may be hard to come by now.

Gone through the site and found a bit of info. Am I right in the following.......

I need a MGF/MGTF donor. Complete car ideally.
The subframe will fettle in there and enable me to use the PG1 gearbox, hubs, driveshafts etc.
The wiring loom will need to be converted to fit.(Hopefully those members are still active!)
I need a GTI MPI manifold.

A few things though.......

What about the gear linkage?

Any info massively appreciated!!!!

Cheers,

Dean
The Lawman
Posted 4/6/2015 8:21 PM (#718437 - in reply to #718388)

Regular

That list looks about right - I don't know much about the technical fitting when it comes to VVC/PG1 conversions. I'm an 'A' series man myself, although my parents have had a few 'K' series in the past so I know a fair bit about standard ones.

Best bet is to get yourself on the metropower facebook page - you'll get lots of advice pretty quick from there, as the forum is a bit quite these days.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software