Metropower Portal
Metropower Portal
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Buying a car on the UK
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   General Discussions-> Forum closed - use www.metropower.infoMessage format

forcker
Posted 25/10/2015 10:58 AM (#720081)
Subject: Buying a car on the UK

Regular

Hi Metropower community,

I am from Germany and thinking of buying a car in the UK. I always wanted a small RWD car with K-series engine. The elise is over my budget, I don't really fancy a MGF, a K-series Midget could be hard to get road legal in Germany and so one of the few remaining  canidates the GTM Rossa K3.

Since the rules are a bit different, in every country some questions remain.
The easiest way would be to rent a trailer and a car, but that would be the priciest way.
The ferry gets more expensive etc...
If the car is taxed and has MOT, can the tax be transferred to the new owner? How easy is it to insure a car for a few days?
How do you usually solve this, if you buy a car?

What documents should I get with the car? License plates, V5, MOT test. Anything else?

I know you can find out some information if the license plate is known.
How do you do this?
I searched on www.vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk but this did not work.
This is the car I am looking at:
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/171970439847

The most important thing would be the correct registration as a GTM.

Kind regards

Richard

ding
Posted 25/10/2015 5:38 PM (#720083 - in reply to #720081)
Subject: RE: Buying a car on the UK

The law has changed with tax now, which takes the piss if you ask me. So if you buy a car which is taxed, it wont be taxed after you've bought it, and you should tax it yourself before using it on the road. But most people buy a car which is taxed, and drive it home taxed. The DVLA cant cancel the tax until it's informed the car has been sold, which takes a few day's week's depending how soon they get the notification.

So if you buy a car it wont be taxed, after the DVLA receive the logbook/V5 for the sale/change of owner. So you maybe 'ok' to use it to get it home. If driven. If on a trailer it doesn't matter.

You should get the V5, M.O.T and any service history for the car. That's about it. Maybe a receipt too..

Should be easy enough to get insurance for a few day's, but not sure if you could use the cover once you've crossed the water..

I check if the car I'm buying has insurance first then use my fully comp to cover me 3rd party just to get it home.

Edited by ding 25/10/2015 5:41 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software