Metropower Portal
Metropower Portal
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

My rather modified r100
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
   Gallery-> Members' JournalsMessage format

Ed Norton
Posted 7/11/2013 2:36 PM (#705734 - in reply to #702050)
Subject: RE: My rather modified r100

Veteran

Hi paul i do like your thinking a lot. Erm yea i have but it over cools like a sod at the min due to the combo of the wide mouth front bumper and mgf rad so much so i recon a standard rad would work ok with that bumper. On a track day the gauge would read totally zero the whole time. So i am actually thinking of getting rid of the rad opening all together on the mk2 bumper i am doing and just having some hole sawed holes for the rad. That should be better for areo as well, I quite want to make the mk2 bumper look good though as well as functional. So any idea's would be greatly appreciated.
Ed Norton
Posted 7/11/2013 2:58 PM (#705736 - in reply to #702050)

Veteran

Cheers martin . I will indeed let you know but i doubt it will be until March next year now as i want to have it all totally sorted by then and have any possible niggles totally ironed out. Next on the list is the Pipercross viper enclosed ram feed air filter, exhaust, diffuser, lexan front rad baffle. Then full undertray diffuser forward, avo coilovers and rear dampers, new wheels probs 14" 6 inch wide mini lites with an adjustable king pin inclination coupled with camber and castor adjustable rose jointed wishbones, then i am going to set it up properly. Next is a new much larger ali fuel tank, with a relocated filler neck in the roof as the side window is not a good place (as i now know fuel vapour causes lexan to crack) and a second corbeau sprint seat. And lastly (for now) a new better looking more areodynamic front bumper and that soon to be rather special 160vvc head you saw in the shed coupled with a z and f remap.
Paul r
Posted 7/11/2013 6:10 PM (#705740 - in reply to #702050)
Extreme Veteran

From personal preference and how many different designs of filter you can get the itg inclosed maxogen filters are amazing, they have inbuilt trumpets which the pipercross does not have and are personally a better filter, I use itg on my metro and my Frog now.

As for the bumper have a look at mine for how I ducted my rad, it works alot better than I thought it would (not sure I need all the holes) it is a std rad from gsf for a 1.1, it survived about 2mins flat out at 6+k rpm @ over 130mph and quite abit of playing before that! I have not managed to get it over heating yet. The new design is more aero dynamic and its made fromm carbon just need to cut and bond it.

I would block off your top bumper vents, make sure the bonnet is in line with the slam pannel, block off the bonnet vent on the drivers side and use the passanger side as a cold air feed (can make a force fed plenum which you cant do as easily with front mounted air feeds) allowing less frontal deflection of air to cause lift (hence where mine is).

http://www.itgairfilters.com/Maxogen-Airboxes.asp

http://www.metropower.org.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=78529&posts=12
http://carbonweasel.com/testing_mini.html

Also with the blown diffuser make sure you use an ally plate with exhaust heat wrap behind it to stop stuff catching on fire and drill she shit out of the rear bumper, weight saving yo!

Edited by Paul r 7/11/2013 6:18 PM
metrobruce
Posted 8/11/2013 9:42 PM (#705779 - in reply to #702050)

Elite Veteran

just a thaught, are you running the standard thermostat or a prt because a while back I tryed a prt and it would under cool so I took it off then put a thermostat housing in the top hose, tis was just another k series one then I put the bypass to the bottom hose basically the same as running an expensive QED remote thermostat. this was a few years ago now but since then I have stumbled upon cheaper options that will solve this issue

http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/product/By-Pass_Thermostat_78_Deg_BYST78

this should only open enough to maintain a steady coolant temprature, as I understand the PRT opens under load so if its under constant load then it will under cool in my opinion
metrobruce
Posted 8/11/2013 9:52 PM (#705780 - in reply to #705740)

Elite Veteran

Paul r - 7/11/2013 6:10 PM

From personal preference and how many different designs of filter you can get the itg inclosed maxogen filters are amazing, they have inbuilt trumpets which the pipercross does not have and are personally a better filter, I use itg on my metro and my Frog now.

As for the bumper have a look at mine for how I ducted my rad, it works alot better than I thought it would (not sure I need all the holes) it is a std rad from gsf for a 1.1, it survived about 2mins flat out at 6+k rpm @ over 130mph and quite abit of playing before that! I have not managed to get it over heating yet. The new design is more aero dynamic and its made fromm carbon just need to cut and bond it.

I would block off your top bumper vents, make sure the bonnet is in line with the slam pannel, block off the bonnet vent on the drivers side and use the passanger side as a cold air feed (can make a force fed plenum which you cant do as easily with front mounted air feeds) allowing less frontal deflection of air to cause lift (hence where mine is).

http://www.itgairfilters.com/Maxogen-Airboxes.asp

http://www.metropower.org.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=78529&posts=12
http://carbonweasel.com/testing_mini.html

Also with the blown diffuser make sure you use an ally plate with exhaust heat wrap behind it to stop stuff catching on fire and drill she shit out of the rear bumper, weight saving yo!

I never got on with my air feed sucking from there, also wit the r100 vents are you not tring to suck air from a low presure area ? that is why formula one cars air feeds face into the wind creating a positive air feed wouldnt putting it there be more likley to create more of a negative pressure in the plenum
Ed Norton
Posted 8/11/2013 10:06 PM (#705784 - in reply to #702050)

Veteran

Cheers bruce yea its a totally standard stat. Thats a good idea and i shall add it to the list . Its fine at cruising speeds but as soon as you put your foot down for more than 8 secs the gauge drops to nothing. My intentions for the moment are to pretty well cover the rad with a sheet of lexan and hole saw accordingly. (It should make the areo in theory a tad better as well) The plan is to also mount a cold air feed in that as that should give a nice high pressure area.
Paul r
Posted 8/11/2013 10:09 PM (#705785 - in reply to #702050)
Extreme Veteran

I find my modified gti vent works really well, I am creating another new one which is slightly higher and longer to scoop more air.

The thing you ahve to remember is the angle of the bonnet, using the raised type vents and utalising the heater blower box creates a secondary plemum. I know where you are coming from for the low pressure area on the bonnet but this does not really happen on a vehicle like the r100 or metro.

Agreed the r100 vents are shit, which is why I do not use them, the other thing about f1 is that although they do have an air intake where they do it works in exatally the same way mine does, fluid dynamics tells me it does .

Alot of wrc cars use a similar setup tol but there's is tricked by back to front lourvers (sp).

If you read the article on carbon weezels site it says about how raising the back of the bonnet draws air in keeping hot in with cold air, my system uses this phenomenon .
metrobruce
Posted 9/11/2013 7:14 PM (#705808 - in reply to #702050)

Elite Veteran

could you not make an aluminium sheet guide from the back of the rad over the engine and out of the back of the bonnet. this is on my to do list for my turbo diesel project I will be making a bonnet with the middle raised about 60mm from each swage line, this will stop undesireable turbulance under the bonnet ( fluid dynamics tell me so) lol. you cant argue that the front of the car has a more positivly charged area, fact is the front is where it starts to part the air so putting the inlet directly into the air stream makes sense, also eliminating any obstructions like two 90 degree bends. the idea of the fan box being a secondary plenum is abit scewed too, it is more of a manifold for the inlet and heater fan, surly fluid dynamics tells you that this will cause turbulance .

Edited by metrobruce 9/11/2013 7:27 PM
Paul r
Posted 9/11/2013 9:53 PM (#705818 - in reply to #702050)
Extreme Veteran

That is a fair point, but I have been looking at it more as a pocket, I dont have any 90 degree bends to my filter, I used to now its going in the side so is pritty much straight. The other thing you need to remember although air on the mid area of the bonnet is crap it always ducks back down near the scuttle, in a very similar area where my scoop is, it is also raised by about 50mm from the bonnet, this is where I found it to flex the most (as in amount of air reaching that area). Its not all just thought and logic I tested as well, you are right it is not for everyone but for me it is perfect

As for the rad would it not be more effective having it ducted through the wings and out of the arch? Also abit easier? Quite a few of the mini boys are starting to do this, or lourvered out of the bonnet?

I had been thinking of something along the lines of the talon bonnet for the exhaust and something out the passanger wing for the rad.

metrobruce
Posted 9/11/2013 11:04 PM (#705828 - in reply to #702050)

Elite Veteran

the only reason I want to raise the bonnet in the middle is that on the diesel the slam panel and bonnet are too close to the front panel to run a diesel pump with an lda I have also had to re think fitting the mgf rad as the top hose hit the fuel pump, so I turned it round and dropped it about an inch lower on a piece of 2mm 40x40 angle. this has given me the option to utilise the entier area of the grill as a ram air scoop

photo 2013-04-24140939_zps01fe540e.jpg

am going to make a custom slam panel as you can see there is masses of room above the rad

photo 2013-04-24192726_zpsebdef086.jpg

photo 2013-04-24192537_zps77a71ed8.jpg

photo 2013-04-24194712_zps204a6226.jpg

Paul r
Posted 16/11/2013 7:39 PM (#706184 - in reply to #702050)
Extreme Veteran

My mk3 air scoop, this is what I ment

Edited by Paul r 16/11/2013 7:46 PM
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software