Metropower Portal
Metropower Portal
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cuey the Mk1 VDP
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
   Gallery-> Members' JournalsMessage format

CliffordB
Posted 9/6/2015 5:33 PM (#718503 - in reply to #718487)
Subject: RE: Cuey the Mk1 VDP

DotMatrix - 8/6/2015 9:51 PM

another time when you remove a thing like the L shaped lip (which is quite a good design by the way, as you state ) you could cut off in half length wise making it just a piece of plate welded to the bottom of the car. After this grind the plate thin at every spot weld. then you can peel it off (roll it off like opening a tin. this way you wont have all those holes in the bottom of the car.

Yes they did excel themselves didn't they .

I should know better than to use a chisel to be honest, weekends are a "let it all out" time frankly, maybe I just took it out on Cuey instead of a punching bag, or I'm just lazy and daft between the ear ? Haha

I really am reluctant to bend and spot or plug weld another L shaped bracket back on there seeing what it's like under it, I'm trying to come up with a way of re-doing this mistake myself without altering it as much as possible, bending the outer sill bottom lip over and spot welding that to the floor corner is seeming like a rather good idea at the moment.
DotMatrix
Posted 9/6/2015 7:38 PM (#718507 - in reply to #715750)

Expert

Yes it could be done that way instead just make sure to drill some holes or something then as water gets in there. I recently drailed half a litee of water from such a sill due to the drain holes being filled with wax.
CliffordB
Posted 9/6/2015 9:19 PM (#718516 - in reply to #715750)

Yeah I will see about enlarging the factory drain slots if they are too small once bent over (more than likely so).
Half a litre ? must have been a wet rally stage of yours then

Should have an update with progress with weekend, sill and front floor replacement to coming before the outer sill, bracing is currently being fabbed up for when I cut it out.
DotMatrix
Posted 9/6/2015 10:42 PM (#718522 - in reply to #718516)

Expert

CliffordB - 9/6/2015 10:19 PM

Yeah I will see about enlarging the factory drain slots if they are too small once bent over (more than likely so).
Half a litre ? must have been a wet rally stage of yours then

Should have an update with progress with weekend, sill and front floor replacement to coming before the outer sill, bracing is currently being fabbed up for when I cut it out.

no this was the daily metro not the racer it is parked outside year round.
CliffordB
Posted 10/6/2015 8:55 PM (#718546 - in reply to #715750)

Ahh poor little metro, I taek it there's a lot of awful weather in Denmark ? much like the Uk if so
DotMatrix
Posted 10/6/2015 9:49 PM (#718560 - in reply to #718546)

Expert

CliffordB - 10/6/2015 9:55 PM

Ahh poor little metro, I taek it there's a lot of awful weather in Denmark ? much like the Uk if so

yes it ought to be out of the weather. but there is no room in the garage, its all filled with metro's, a mini and motorbikes
yeah its much the same as in england. but its getting summer-ish now
CliffordB
Posted 13/6/2015 6:29 PM (#718621 - in reply to #715750)

Started quite late today, but still made some progress with the sill and what has spread to working on the floor pan!

I took a while, but I've managed to remove this section all in one go, the jacking point didn't want to part company with the floor support rib (no idea what the correct name is) but after some levering back and forth it finally broke free in an area the cutting disc couldn't quite get.

There are also two sections I will be fabricating, the lower A-post strengthener which has pitted too much to grind down to good metal, and also the outer section to the front of the outer sill, the wing bottom bolts to this piece so I'm keeping the rotted section for reference.

And lastly for today is the spoiler, I've rubbed it down and put a guide coat on the low point, I'll be using a hair dryer and block of wood pressed inside to raise this, which I may have already mentions earlier on in the thread

Cliff
zimzimmer
Posted 14/6/2015 9:56 AM (#718630 - in reply to #715750)

very cool project indeed, followed this on TMF.... good luck with the rest of the build
CliffordB
Posted 14/6/2015 8:55 PM (#718645 - in reply to #715750)

Thankyou, appreciate the double follow

Following on from yesterday is the front floor pan..

I had to create a repair panel with a groove for the inner sill panel press to match my panel, I really wasted a lot of time this weekend trying different methods of how to achieve the round recess end, I can produce the shape fine, but the end were it fades out into a smooth panel is difficult to be honest Haha

Anyway, so I came up with a few bits and bobs and made some more ground bits and bobs that press the shape into the panel when locked in a vice or G-Clamp (very awkward either way!)

You should know by now how these things start... C.A.D. (Cardboard Aided Design) of course!!

I found this not to work with a flat headed jig

Back to the drawing board

After all the commotion

Started welding it in
Greatest Hits
Posted 21/6/2015 9:18 PM (#718722 - in reply to #715750)
New user

I don't know if you've seen it, but there is a Vanden Plas Metro on ebay. The seller says he'll sell it whole or break it. It has had what looks to be a fairly major crash (pictures aren't great), so I don't think anyone would be able to save it. It is way down south as well but the seller says he'll post parts. Anyway, this is a cracking thread, keep it up
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software