Metropower Portal
Metropower Portal
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Strip down Metro
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Technical Area-> TechnicalMessage format

Re-Carbed
Posted 16/1/2017 4:53 PM (#723212)
Subject: Strip down Metro

Has anyone taken a standard 1.1 and stripped out everything that isn't needed to move and operate the car? Did it make a difference to the performance if you did? I mean the spare wheel and tools, back seats, upholstery etc.
Ians r100 gta vvc
Posted 16/1/2017 5:35 PM (#723213 - in reply to #723212)
Subject: RE: Strip down Metro

Veteran

My 1.1 was stripped and I swapped the exhaust before I changed the lump
It was more noisey thats about it and the rear was bouncey, the rear cans would need adjusting for height, they work like a damper move one way easier than the other and the fluids thickness aids the damping so messing around with the weight needs the vescosity of the hydrolastic fluid playing around with really and add struts to aid high speed damping as I found mine would start to leap through multiple up and downs sections it could get sketchy, when the front to rear link is removed I found it worse, the stock gti is as good as it gets I found for handling others may disagree but for road driving i found the gti spot on
But power wise the 1.1 is better off in the bin, all metros should of had a 1.4 twincam mpi as stock that's your best bet good all rounder and revs nice.

Ideally a good mod would be to add valves for nitrogen so it can be gassed to different pressures or just refil.

Edited by Ians r100 gta vvc 16/1/2017 6:01 PM
Re-Carbed
Posted 19/1/2017 12:12 AM (#723219 - in reply to #723213)

Ians r100 gta vvc - 16/1/2017 5:35 PM

My 1.1 was stripped and I swapped the exhaust before I changed the lump
It was more noisey thats about it and the rear was bouncey, the rear cans would need adjusting for height, they work like a damper move one way easier than the other and the fluids thickness aids the damping so messing around with the weight needs the vescosity of the hydrolastic fluid playing around with really and add struts to aid high speed damping as I found mine would start to leap through multiple up and downs sections it could get sketchy, when the front to rear link is removed I found it worse, the stock gti is as good as it gets I found for handling others may disagree but for road driving i found the gti spot on
But power wise the 1.1 is better off in the bin, all metros should of had a 1.4 twincam mpi as stock that's your best bet good all rounder and revs nice.

Ideally a good mod would be to add valves for nitrogen so it can be gassed to different pressures or just refil.

Thanks. I hadn't considered that the lack of rear weight would lead to handling problems but the rear already weighs very little. I find my low mileage 1.1 adequate provided that you are willing to rev it a lot - which it doesn't seem to mind.
DotMatrix
Posted 24/1/2017 10:59 PM (#723225 - in reply to #723212)

Expert

my a-series with only a racing seat, dashboard and a rollcage inside and perspex windows weights 790kg against the standard quoted weight of something like 800-880kg depending on model and year, so if you put a cage inside the car instead of the seats, make sure its a lightweight cage and not the type I have
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software