Metropower Portal
Metropower Portal
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Just replaced my gearbox oil
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Technical Area-> TechnicalMessage format

Re-Carbed
Posted 4/3/2017 12:33 PM (#723348)
Subject: Just replaced my gearbox oil

My gearbox oil probably dates from 1993 and so I decided to replace it. Haynes alludes to the refilling process being "extremely difficult" due to the fill port location but I didn't find that. Drained the old oil - opaque and smelly. Made up a tool consisting of a cheap funnel taped to a piece of scrap wide-bore aquarium tubing and refilled the box from the top - easy. So in the last six weeks that's been new engine oil and filter, New air filter, gearbox oil, Serviced the brakes, freed the rear adjusters and replaced the brake fluid, replaced the coolant and greased the suspension fulcrum points, applied underseal to the underbody and subframes and greased the brake pipes and hanbrake mechanisms. It still looks like an old Metro inside and out but is fun to drive. No wonder most people nowadays go for a eurobox with servicing as part of the deal. Looking forward to six months off now.
DotMatrix
Posted 4/3/2017 1:35 PM (#723350 - in reply to #723348)
Subject: RE: Just replaced my gearbox oil

Expert

Re-Carbed - 4/3/2017 12:33 PM

My gearbox oil probably dates from 1993 and so I decided to replace it. Haynes alludes to the refilling process being "extremely difficult" due to the fill port location but I didn't find that. Drained the old oil - opaque and smelly. Made up a tool consisting of a cheap funnel taped to a piece of scrap wide-bore aquarium tubing and refilled the box from the top - easy. So in the last six weeks that's been new engine oil and filter, New air filter, gearbox oil, Serviced the brakes, freed the rear adjusters and replaced the brake fluid, replaced the coolant and greased the suspension fulcrum points, applied underseal to the underbody and subframes and greased the brake pipes and hanbrake mechanisms. It still looks like an old Metro inside and out but is fun to drive. No wonder most people nowadays go for a eurobox with servicing as part of the deal. Looking forward to six months off now.

sounds like a lot of good things you have done to your car lately. now just get it running right so you can drive and enjoy it when the summer comes
Re-Carbed
Posted 4/3/2017 5:18 PM (#723352 - in reply to #723350)
Subject: RE: Just replaced my gearbox oil

DotMatrix - 4/3/2017 1:35 PM

Re-Carbed - 4/3/2017 12:33 PM

sounds like a lot of good things you have done to your car lately. now just get it running right so you can drive and enjoy it when the summer comes

Thanks. When my Metro is runnning well it is similar to drive to a 1.1 MG Midget I owned in the 1980s - nippy and chuckable - no wind in the hair though.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software