Metropower Portal
Metropower Portal
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

MIDI's 160VVC (pic heavy)
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Gallery-> Members' JournalsMessage format

Midi
Posted 11/12/2016 12:33 AM (#723048)
Subject: MIDI's 160VVC (pic heavy)

New user

Hi so i thourght i would do a build thread of my journey of converting to VVC, I may have done something wrong and seem to be missing a lot of the photos i have taken, probably due to dirty fingers lol. anyway;

this is what i started out with, its a r100 1.1 MPI with 26k on the clock i bought for just over £400. body is pretty solid and is a good base to start my build, I'm planning to use the standard r56 gearbox with this.

then i got a 160vvc engine, gearbox, loom, remapped ecu, driveshafts, downpipes and rad. the ECU has had the immobiliser mapped out so no need for 5AS.

i then spent two days cleaning it with gunk and a jet washer

so after it had dried off, i got to work changing the timing belts, crank seals, water pump, tentioner and rocker cover gasket

deffinatly managed to loose half the pictures i took, quite annoying as i spent a lot of time documenting it. anyway, i thought it would be good practice to change everything obvious why it was off. i changed the flywheel side oil seal next and torqued up my flywheel, new flywheel bolts and clutch. the flywheel was off a 1.4 mpi metro and its was advised to me to ALWAYS buy new flywheel bolts ,i bought a new borg and beck 190mm clutch kit to suit aswell, this allowed me to use the the standard gearbox and give me bit more surface area over the standard one.

after that, the engine was basically ready to go in, i planned to do the swap in one day due to needing to car to go work with on the monday witch i (technically) managed to do with a lot of help from my friends. but it did not come without its troubles!
so i started work on a friday morning at 9am in December, witch was stupid as it was freezing, and being winter it gets dark at like 4:30, so had a small window to get a lot done!
i started by removing the battery tray and air box..

this is where a lot of pictures went missing....
i was going to take the gearbox and engine out in one, but someone told me the day before, that it can be done with leaving the gearbox in. so i went for this option and removed the bell housing bolts, think there were 4 or 5? the rear lower gearbox steady and the left engine mount and cross brace. and slackend the right top gearbox mount off abit. this allowed the engine to come out quite easy.

think it was about mid day by the time we got the engine out, took a bit longer than i thought it would. so i started to panic thinking i wasn't going to get to work on Monday lol. but the lads arrived in force and we got the new engine in. only real problem we came across witch slowed us down was aligning the gearbox spline onto to the clutch, just needed to be in the exact position to mate the two together. took about a hour and a half in total.

so it just started to get dark and we started it up, and to our surprise it fired right up first time....then cut out after about 4 mins. this was about 5pm on the friday.
it would struggle to start without your foot on the gas, and when it did fire up it wouldn't idle. managed to take it round the block for a test drive to see if it ran ok. witch it did until coming to a stop and it would cut out.
we had to down tools and call it day at that.
so saturday comes and I'm working on it from 8am in the frost. still the same problem. i spoke to a few sound guys i had met through buying the bits for the car (engine, flywheel etc) who were mega helpful and told me to try a few different things. new battery, take off IACV and TPS and give them all a clean. tried disconnecting different things, lambda and stat. i could not figure it out why it ran fine when i picked the engine up, and fine when i tried it the first time in the metro!!!
this went on until Sunday mid day when i finally cracked it!
i had the two plugs for the VVC unit plugged in the wrong way round, i think the blue and the brown? anyway, it started up fine! and i drove it home
still a few teething problems, unstable idle and quite jerky pulling off. but at least it runs!
so chuffed with it!

Hope you enjoyed my build! still loads to come!

Midi
Mhadley
Posted 11/12/2016 1:51 AM (#723050 - in reply to #723048)
Subject: RE: MIDI's 160VVC (pic heavy)

New user

Was just about to mention about the VVC plugs could be the wrong way round but you sussed it Looks like a nice shell to do a build on, whats your plans, upgrades wise etc.??
Midi
Posted 11/12/2016 1:58 AM (#723051 - in reply to #723048)

New user

It took me like two days to figure that out lol. I found one guy on the internet who had the same problem and thought I would try it! Glad I did lol. Well I have bourght some gti mpi alloys. Front and rear ARB's, individualising valves and front and rear screen rubbers. So have plenty to be getting on with. Need to do a brake upgrade and a mgf Rad first I think. And would like a cat back exhaust aswell, but not too loud as I hate cabin drone and it's my daily and is still nice to drive ATM
Mhadley
Posted 11/12/2016 2:29 AM (#723052 - in reply to #723048)

New user

yeah quite a common thing that happens, so you're not the only one, was looking for ages for some ARB's for my MK3 GTa, finally found a rear, but fitting it to my R100 for now, mines going to be a R100 GTi / GTa rep, to go along with my MK3 GTa, i've got everything now for the R100 apart from the front ARB, some mounts, brackets, exhaust etc and some other bits and bobs, which will be brought after christmas now... but yeah, i do like a pic heavy thread!
Midi
Posted 11/12/2016 5:41 PM (#723053 - in reply to #723048)

New user

Yeh it took me a while to find a reasonable price set of ARB's. I've seen people ask £150 each for them!! But I've got everything I need now to get where I want to be with it. Just got to wait for it to warm up abit

Midi
wibblyp
Posted 12/12/2016 9:56 PM (#723064 - in reply to #723048)
Regular

I'm sure I came across someone who was forming new Arb's the other day. I'll check when I've more time.
forcker
Posted 13/12/2016 6:34 AM (#723067 - in reply to #723048)

Regular

Nice project!

Don't forget the front shocks and strengthening plates.

Ralph (component engineering) makes uprated 20mm rear ARBs. But none for the front.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software