Metropower Portal
Metropower Portal
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Track Car brake setup - From diagonal to Front/Back
Moderators:

Technical Area-> TechnicalMessage format

siy13
Posted 11/11/2015 1:29 AM (#720272)
Subject: Track Car brake setup - From diagonal to Front/Back

I'm just coming up to sorting the brake lines out on my track car, the original setup is diagonal rather than front to back, i was wondering if anyone has converted their cars and how they have done so.

I will be running the pipes through the car and would like to run a bias valve but i have a few questions.

1) have people felt the need to run a bias valve?
2) are the outputs of the master cylinder of equal size and then the rear brakes restricted at the T pieces on the bulkhead or are they restricted at the rear slave cylinders?
3) How have people restricted the flow to the rear brakes when converted?

Any info and pictures would be great

Thanks in advance

Stu

Dave 20VTRO
Posted 11/11/2015 11:25 PM (#720292 - in reply to #720272)
Subject: RE: Track Car brake setup - From diagonal to Front/Back
Elite Veteran

siy13 - 12/11/2015 12:29 AM

I'm just coming up to sorting the brake lines out on my track car, the original setup is diagonal rather than front to back, i was wondering if anyone has converted their cars and how they have done so.

I will be running the pipes through the car and would like to run a bias valve but i have a few questions.

2) are the outputs of the master cylinder of equal size and then the rear brakes restricted at the T pieces on the bulkhead or are they restricted at the rear slave cylinders?

Thanks in advance

Stu

I joined both outputs from the master cylinder into one output, then into a 4 way connector, then left and right to the front wheels, then the last one to both rear wheels via a bias valve, all inside the car, I have the bias valve set to minimum setting to the rears without the rears sticking on and being road legal.
Std cars are restricted via the limiting valves on the bulkhead,
I am planning on ditching the bias valve and fitting one std limiting valve in its place, (as adjusting the bias valve causes the rear brakes to stick). The threads in and out of the limiting valve(s) are not the same, one is 10x1mm, and the other is 12x1mm,
Surprisingly the pedal feels better on the 'single line' setup than it did on the dual setup.

skrib
Posted 12/11/2015 7:18 AM (#720293 - in reply to #720292)

Regular

Dave can i ask why you didnt just use one out put from the master cylinder for the front and the other to the rear?

Dave 20VTRO - 11/11/2015 11:25 PM

siy13 - 12/11/2015 12:29 AM

Thanks in advance

Stu

I joined both outputs from the master cylinder into one output, then into a 4 way connector, then left and right to the front wheels, then the last one to both rear wheels via a bias valve, all inside the car, I have the bias valve set to minimum setting to the rears without the rears sticking on and being road legal.
Std cars are restricted via the limiting valves on the bulkhead,
I am planning on ditching the bias valve and fitting one std limiting valve in its place, (as adjusting the bias valve causes the rear brakes to stick). The threads in and out of the limiting valve(s) are not the same, one is 10x1mm, and the other is 12x1mm,
Surprisingly the pedal feels better on the 'single line' setup than it did on the dual setup.

Edited by skrib 12/11/2015 7:18 AM

Tracktro
Posted 12/11/2015 7:53 AM (#720295 - in reply to #720272)
Veteran

What do the limiting valves actually do then? Limit pressure to both front and rear brakes?

t3gav
Posted 12/11/2015 10:18 AM (#720296 - in reply to #720272)
Elite Veteran

I use the standard brake setup with race pads in the front. Seems fine so far!

siy13
Posted 12/11/2015 3:26 PM (#720313 - in reply to #720272)

Cheers for the help guys

I think I'm goin to use one of two plans

1) Upper master cylinder outlet for front with 1 splitter. Lower for rears and bias valve in the car and splitter at back
2) same as above but with reducer on bulhead for rears

I know that it won't pass and mot with the bias valve but just for track purposes is it really worth fitting one?

Cheers Stu

Dave 20VTRO
Posted 13/11/2015 8:00 PM (#720328 - in reply to #720272)
Elite Veteran

Fao skrib,

I joined both master cyl outlets together because I was using one bias valve, as the master cyl pistons are the same dia and move the same distance as a dual circuit setup because hydraulically they are identical and move the same amount of fluid normally. I didn't want upset things by missmatching the fluid that each master cyl piston moves as I may have too much pedal travel when the system works normally. Have a look at this link:

http://www.gomog.com/allmorgan/MASTERCYLINDER.htm
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software