Metropower Portal
Metropower Portal
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

A series 1.3 auto slipping box
Moderators:

Technical Area-> TechnicalMessage format

thebaldconvict
Posted 17/2/2006 4:49 PM (#110851)
Subject: A series 1.3 auto slipping box
New user

Hi all,

I have a 1989 1.3L automatic and all seems to be well with the car other than a couple of things...... 1 is that it needs a touch of welding doing, 2 is that it has a wheelbearing on the front nearside that has a bit of play in it and the autobox appears to be slipping..

seem that is slips when driving normally between 3rd and fourth as it gets to about 25mph and the revs rise quickly to about 3k (from 2k) when it will finally change into gear. When I first got it (not long ago) it appeared fine but to be fair my driving is different when I have people with me LOL
If you driving it hard and use the kickdown, it drives fine up till about 60 and then it slides into 4th, fairly slowly, it does do it but seems wierd.
Any ideas on what I can do? does it sound like it's knackered? Oh and it seems if you lift off the accelerator a bit, it will drop down into 4th nice and easy.

Now theres a pipe that goes from the carb to the box on the battery side of the engine at the back that was split so I replaced that with a length of fuel hose but before I connected it up, I checked to see if anything came out, no vacuum, fuel or anything. what is that for? it's not in the haynes.

Wheel bearings.... are they the type that you can tighten up or are they replace only?

And last question... any good really cheap welders in the Stoke area? been quoted £75, only payed £90 for the car

Alburglar
Posted 18/2/2006 6:40 PM (#111115 - in reply to #110851)
Subject: RE: A series 1.3 auto slipping box

Veteran

"Now theres a pipe that goes from the carb to the box on the battery side of the engine at the back that was split so I replaced that with a length of fuel hose but before I connected it up,"

What box? I think that the hose in question is likely to be brake servo hose. Or most likely the vacuum advance pipe. You will need to be a proper replacement to get it to idle nicely.

And £75 for welding sounds like a bargain! The prep work for welding is usually dirty and time consuming.

Edited by Alburglar 18/2/2006 6:44 PM

thebaldconvict
Posted 18/2/2006 8:00 PM (#111122 - in reply to #110851)
New user

Sorry, by box I meant autobox...... I replaced it with fuel pipe as thats what the split pipe said on the side.
The vacuum advance is the plastic on from carb to distributor? If so, that ones ok, other than the slip between 3rd and 4th gear it drives perfect, it did even with the split pipe.

OK so welding sounds good then, am happy about that.

Gary220
Posted 20/2/2006 2:43 AM (#111425 - in reply to #110851)
New user

I think your on about the fuel overflow pipe, it goes from the carb down PAST the gearbox and just vents to the floor. As for the slipping, i know exactly what your on about, as my mk1 auto did that a few years ago ( before i had the engine/box rebuilt). It will probabaly be ok for many years mate, but one bit of advice i will give is dont make it slip too much, when it changes from 3rd to 4th just ease off slightly.

GARY

thebaldconvict
Posted 21/2/2006 4:26 PM (#112039 - in reply to #111425)
New user

Ahhhh yep that sounds about right for the pipe...

When yours was slipping how many miles was it at and roughly how long would one normally last, I know it's 17 years old but should be ok at 33,000miles.
Did yours die or did you rebuild just incase, was it ok after the rebuild? i.e. did it slip at all or were the changes quick and precise?

Gary220
Posted 23/2/2006 4:30 PM (#112588 - in reply to #110851)
New user

I honestly cant remember when it started slipping, but it got to just over 130,000 miles before it expired, loudly, at high speed...at night
I had the box compleatly rebuilt using ALL new parts.
To be honest i wouldnt worry too much, it will probabaly be ok for many years, just make sure you keep the oil fresh.
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software