Metropower Portal
Metropower Portal
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

DJ Wilmas 111S S2 Lotus Elise, turbo k series
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Now viewing page 12 [25 messages per page]
   Gallery-> Non Metro galleryMessage format

R100_vvc
Posted 17/4/2015 7:48 AM (#717799 - in reply to #717797)
Subject: RE: DJ Wilmas 111S S2 Lotus Elise, turbo k series

Expert

djwilma - 17/4/2015 2:44 AM

You seem to forget who I am

nope just the person in my rear view mirror from what I can remember?

I took my metro for a good blast last night. I haven't got an inlet temp gauge, but I can not get any heat in the charge cooler at all.
The water still feels as cold as tap water, so im happy its working better then it did with the gt20
djwilma
Posted 4/6/2015 10:31 PM (#718439 - in reply to #657731)

Expert

Well work is horrible at the moment, oil price is low and sales lower so its been all hands to the pump.

So i have had little time to play with the elise

I am also moving next week so i thought i would spend an evening on it

Bad news was, it blew the new alternator i fitted. So thats 3 its been through now. So its not an earth, not a live, not overspeeding or heat. So latest idea is that its load on the alternator. It blew whilst stationary in traffic at 95C. This is when the water pump duty goes to 100% and the fans kick into high speed. With all the pumps going i think it asked for more than the alternator can give.

So a 120amp alternator has been ordered and hope to have it fitted this weekend

This time just the regulator, the diode pack went later this time

More worrying is that the car wont start, nothing when the key turns not lights off nothing.

Thought this was the immobiliser so removed it and bypassed it

Didnt work

Thought the starter had blown but live to the solenoid and she runs fine

MFRU is clicking when the key turns but starter isnt moving.

Thought it was the alarm, so managed to find a 8186 on ebay new and unused.

The alarm has been playing up recently too, the fuse to the siren was removed as it was open circuit. Central Locking had failed and the LED on the Stack no longer worked.

So today i spent the fitting the 8185 module.....horrible

Finally found the module, thanks to Junks and Sportomotive, it was behind some cheap foam

Changed the Module and central locking is fine, led works but engine still wont start. The new immobiliser has a different plug so need to get a wiring diagram

LED flashes 7 then 8 times, instructions say this is a Serial Line Data Link.......

Pulled the old alarm to bits and found that it had got hot and had blown an electrical component thingy

Had enough and went to collect my son, who asked where the Lotus was and why it was in hospital again

Drinking now :bc
DotMatrix
Posted 5/6/2015 12:07 PM (#718443 - in reply to #657731)

Expert

sounds like a lot of annoying hard to find problems. I hope you get it sorted
djwilma
Posted 24/6/2015 1:12 PM (#718774 - in reply to #657731)

Expert

Well this is starting to get on my tits......

Moved house, collected Elise got to my new home and thought i would run up to the next junction as its de-restricted to clear the engine out :bc

Foot down in third, big smile, engine lost power......looked at new 120Amp alternator voltage and 13v. Dumped clutch, engine cut out all lights on dash on. Clutch up, and engine revved back up, lights went out no power and no noise.

Pulled over, popped bonnet

The fuel rail regulator had literally popped off the rail and started to fill the boot with fuel........

Its held on with a stupid clip, refitted and realised the o ring had also gone awol

Phone my friends at recovery..........called wife and explained.....got shouted at as house needed moving

Today i received, the wrong, fuel damper. But wasnt too worried as could fit the fuel in to the end of the rail.

Released jubilee clip gave it a tug and the fuel rail snapped

At this moment i'd sell the bloody thing as just dont have the time or worse the inclination......as stressy job and just moved house.

Rant over
Marv_666
Posted 24/6/2015 2:40 PM (#718777 - in reply to #657731)

'88 MG METRO 1300

Can I offer just one piece of advice...

[sarcasm alert] STOP BREAKING IT!! [/sarcasm alert]

Always gonna have problems with a build like this, just got to see it through to the end!
Or, cut your losses and sell it... but risk finding out a £15 part and 10 minutes labour and the car ran fine after that!?!
djwilma
Posted 10/8/2015 1:00 PM (#719304 - in reply to #657731)

Expert

Thanks Marv but i have a habit of breaking it, and would be bored if it ran (no i wouldnt)

Well work and the house move have calmed down and i have had some well deserved time off so i actually had time to do somethings to the Elise

Firstly i Jacked it up on gravel, didnt think this was a good idea, so tested to see if it would hold and it fell off the jack ! I now have a nice jack sized indentation on the drivers side sill......numpty that i am !

Anyway after cursing and explaining to myself its fun when you drive it i got on with things

The fuel rail was first, i did some research (text Drew at roverdose, thanks again) and he advised to fit the old style fuel rail as this has the regulator on the end bolted in and not the crap top mounted with a clip.

Was sent one the next day and fitting was easy ish, even if i did have to bend the rear clam to get the inlet off

The alternator wasnt working so i charged the battery and took her for a little spin, came off a roundabout floored it and smelt coolant. Looked out the back window and it was covered in condensation.......parked up got out and......

A small hose from the turbo coolant outlet was touching the turbine housing and had just given up with all the heat

Luckily the hose from the header was too long so cut it and re-positioned the new hose and all is well again. I may add a metal extension to take it away from the housing completely.

So the battery had dropped about 0.2 volts in a few mins driving so i thought i would take the car to help my brother start his new engine, only 10 miles away, and arrived with only 0.5v dropped. This tells me its not a short or a faulty piece of equipment as the battery held up well. Charged it up as it was dark when i left

So i purchased another 120amp alternator and had this fitted at the ever Helpful Tech1 Performance in Poole. They are ex Ktec and Paul has done some top class fabrication for me on my metro before and they as a norm deal with Modified cars etc so they were more than happy to help

I also had the Battery tested it was only holding 11.8v and 330ah so was advised to get a new one> Same model and the new one was 12.6v and 550ah

I also changed the negative terminal from a quick release to a hard one, just in case.

Was in two minds as to whether i should wire up the alternator but changed some settings on the ECU so the FAN and PUMP didnt both come on a the same time and thought what the hell

Car made it home but the voltage dropped from 14v down to 12.1v over a 30 min period. Let car cool started again and straight up to 14v battery was 12.4v before starting.

So i thought it may be a bad connection so wire the battery straight to the alternator, so a 170amp 120" cable was ordered and "bodged" on

This made a big difference and voltage with everything on i could press or twist, dropped to 12.8v (the DTA Volt meter is a long way down the cable so i expect voltage drop) and 13.2v direct on the battery.

This weekend i have done 250 miles in the Elise and no electrical problems. I even managed to convince the Drop Zone owner it would be a good idea to take him for a spin up the runway at the end of the day with the roof off managed the below on low boost setting :bc

So, for now, i am all happy again its even done the 250 miles on half the 60 litre tank of fuel including a couple of high speed runs :clp

Only casualty is i now have no front grill, the charge cooler is definitely too small (known from the start) and the placement of the air filter means it sucks in hot air from the engine bay not cold ish from out
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Now viewing page 12 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software