Metropower Portal
Metropower Portal
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Changing head gasket vvc
Moderators:

Technical Area-> TechnicalMessage format

joel93
Posted 19/6/2015 1:04 AM (#718695)
Subject: Changing head gasket vvc

On my metro vvc build if desided to upgrade the head gasket and a new timing belt to prevent future problems, I have been researching and I don't like the look of removing the vvc mechanisms is this nessisery for a pressure test on the head, there is no sign of a head gasket fail so could I remove the head replace gasket and re fit head without the pressure test ?

Dave 20VTRO
Posted 20/6/2015 12:11 AM (#718700 - in reply to #718695)
Subject: RE: Changing head gasket vvc
Elite Veteran

joel93 - 20/6/2015 12:04 AM

On my metro vvc build if desided to upgrade the head gasket and a new timing belt to prevent future problems, I have been researching and I don't like the look of removing the vvc mechanisms is this nessisery for a pressure test on the head, there is no sign of a head gasket fail so could I remove the head replace gasket and re fit head without the pressure test ?

You dont remove the vvc stuff to do a head gasket, just treat it as a normal cyl head assembly, ie manifold(s) off, fuel hoses,
unplug loom, (take note which plugs go on vvc solenoids and oil breather pipe(s), in manifold steady bar to block, main cam pulley
timing marks when engine is in 'Safe' position on crank pulley marks, buy correct belt for main pulleys, it is 26mm wide(iirc) and
has 143 teeth and is for a VVC fixed tensioner, I would get a new belt for the rear pulleys as well.
The only real problem I can see that you have, will be that you want to renew the HG at all, if you want to upgrade to a MLS gasket
then you will probably need to get the head skimmed to get get rid of the std HG indentations from the fire rings, to get this done,
you will need to strip the head as the ex valves are too close to the edge of the combustion chamber, as you are worried about stripping
the head, then either dont, or get someone who is familiar with the vvc setup, if there is no sign of HGF, then why pressure test the head?
if it aint broke, dont fix it.

Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software