Metropower Portal
Metropower Portal
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

1.4 mpi 16v k-series - 1.8 mpi 16v k-series?
Moderators:

Technical Area-> TechnicalMessage format

trotasic2006
Posted 13/2/2006 1:24 PM (#109484)
Subject: 1.4 mpi 16v k-series - 1.8 mpi 16v k-series?

Right the idea is to do a engine conversion into a metro gti which will be stripped to the bone interior wise and a pair of buckets put in but i am undecided which one to do-1.6 or 1.8 now before any of you say 1.8vvc i have a limited budget and time so needless to say im not going for the vvc. now initially i was gonna go for the 1.6 but if there is a generous gain in power from the 1.8 i will do that instead-also what kind of gains will i see-bhp,0-60 etc from both.
i have also been told that i can use the ecu,harness,throttle body,inlet manifold and exhaust manifold from the gti on the 1.6 and 1.8 k series-is this true and is there any gain in power from using all the parts from the 1.6 or 1.8 or is it the same as using the gti ones?

please post -any help will be greatfully appreciated!

harry
Posted 13/2/2006 1:55 PM (#109497 - in reply to #109484)
Subject: RE: 1.4 mpi 16v k-series - 1.8 mpi 16v k-series?
Veteran

the cheapest, and easiest way, as its an mpi to start with, would be to just drop the engine straight in.

you will probably need to swap a few odds and sods, alternator brackets, a coolant elbow, flywheel guards etc.

it will work pretty well on the stock gti ecu, though you may need an fse or something to up the fueling a tad. a better idea would be to use the same ecu as the engine you get, and the correct inlet manifold to match.

but yeah, the 1.6 or 1.8 engine works pretty well with the gti ecu, you might get a bit more power and a bit better economy from the proper ecu for the engine, but not huge amounts.

1.6 or 1.8 - depends what you can get for how much. 1.8 has more power and more torque out of the box, tuning wise they can both be taken upto the same sort of levels, but the 1.6 will need more revs to make the same power. a 1.6 should feel like a beefed up gti engine, the 1.8 feels a bit lazier and a bit breathless at the top end, but pulls like a train from low down.

Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software