Metropower Portal
Metropower Portal
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Getting that Metro Urge - then 3 come along!
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   General Discussions-> Forum closed - use www.metropower.infoMessage format

Six-Cylinder
Posted 10/1/2017 8:48 PM (#723195)
Subject: Getting that Metro Urge - then 3 come along!
New user

3 years or more ago I have wanted a Metro and started looking to buy one, aiming for a 1275cc A series. I was really looking for an up and running car with MOT that I could improve. One of my favorite was a project 1.3S in Lime green but I was outbid. As time went on I realized that they had gone beyond my budget and while I did bid on a couple of 998cc cars I knew that I wanted a bit more performance so widened my search to include Metro 1.4 K series cars. I was excluding Automatics from my search and not very keen on 5 doors. My desire had cooled a little as I had been searching for so long.

Then on another Forum a year ago I was offered a K series with HGF. So it’s not an A series, not a 3 door, not even called a Metro but a Rover 114 GSi. I wanted to save it and love the unloveable.

My garage is full, luckily my friend Derek offered the use of his garage. The good news for me is Derek is a long time BL fan and currently has a Metro Turbo, 1972 Mini, 1988 Mini Designer, Rover 216 Cabriolet and has had various MG ZR, ZS and F/TFs in the past. Derek is a practical man and has personal experience doing K series head gaskets! So Derek’s garage was a good place for me to do the work! We did the head gasket but it still overheated very quickly and I became disheartened and it sat around.

I still had the Metro desire and wanted a MG/Turbo/S 1275cc but the prices had risen too much and I did not fancy telling Mrs 6C how I had spent a fortune on a Metro. So I settled for a 37k 114 SLi 5 door and a great car. Next I was offered some metro brochures for the price of the postage and gladly accepted them, they included a MK1 MG Metro brochure which I had left lying around. Mrs 6C found it and proclaimed she loved MK1 MG models and could we not get one! She asked what was for sale now and I found two project cars and she instructed me to buy one!

In March 2016 I got the 1984 MK1 MG Metro and while a good one owner 30k project car, not much rust but after 14 years sitting about it still had its issues the worst was the engine turned out to be seized. The engine has been stripped and now starts but I still need a radiator for it. (There is a photo in the wanted section if you can help)

The GSi head gasket is fixed, turned out to just be an air lock and I passed it on.

The SLi is great, MOTed running well but I may have to pass that on when the MG returns to the road.

I am hoping the MG will be MOTed in a couple of months but will still need some paintwork.
DotMatrix
Posted 11/1/2017 8:58 AM (#723198 - in reply to #723195)
Subject: RE: Getting that Metro Urge - then 3 come along!

Expert

you are very welcome. nice to have an other a-series man in here

I had similar radiator-finding trouble half a year ago, I have replied to your wanted thread.

by the way. when you get it running and start using it daily, if you plan to use it on non sunny days I can recommend fitting this as it really helps with the inevitable water in the ignition components. it fits the mk1 fine but not the mk2 so much due to the different top radiator hose.

http://minispares.com/product/Classic/Electrics/Ignition/Distributors/BHM1675.aspx

Edited by DotMatrix 11/1/2017 9:00 AM
111Sli
Posted 26/1/2017 12:55 AM (#723231 - in reply to #723195)
Subject: RE: Getting that Metro Urge - then 3 come along!

Transport Guru

MP Moderator

Welcome to Metropower- I love a story to joining to fold.

Be sure to keep a journal of your progress with plenty of pics (y)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software