Metropower Portal
Metropower Portal
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sticky GUIDE:- Fitting an MGF Radiator and keep the bonnet catch
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Technical Area-> TechnicalMessage format

Tomf
Posted 30/8/2013 5:59 PM (#702685)
Subject: GUIDE:- Fitting an MGF Radiator and keep the bonnet catch

Regular

Ok guys so i set about fitting an MGF radiator this morning. It took me about 2 hours to do but i was doing lots of other bits in between, it could probs be done in about an hour.

First off i just removed the original metro radiator, by disconnecting all the pipes, then undo the two top mounts (one either side) found on the slam panel, once these are out the way disconnect the fan and lift the radiator out, it is a bit fiddly but you can get it out with the fan still attached.

Here is a quick snap to show how the MGF radiator is alot bigger than the metro radiator:

Ok first up remove the two rubber bottom radiator dampers (they just pull out) now what you want to do here is cut them down so they sit flush with the wider part as show here:

Next to gain enough room for the bonnet catch to still work i had to modify the two bottom mounts on the radiator, to do this you will see the base of the mount sits a bit proud of the bottom of the radiator so i cut this back so that when the radiator was in the mounts it would sit as low as possible.

I forgot to take a photo before but here is one of the top mount so you can see what i mean (this has already been modified FOR THE TOP as you will read below but just shows how the lower knuckle originally was):

And here is what it looks like now, i couldnt find a pretty way of doing this so u used an angle grinder but you could spend a while using a file if your not to confident with a grinder:

Next up you want to cut down the two top mounts of the MGF radiator, this is more offer up and cut as it depends how low you have managed to get the bottom of the radiator:

Ok so by now, with the bonnet catch removed you should be able to get the radiator to fit nicely into the front panel. So next up you need to remove t little bit from the top fin of the radiator so it will clear the bonnet catch, with the catch in place fit the radiator to the bottom mounts and mark on the nearest side where needs cutting, remove this section and the offer back in place and mark the rear top fin and remove, you should be left with something that looks a bit like this:

Next i modified the driver side radiator mount, as the MGF radiator is wider than a metro radiator the top sits about 10mm further back, so all i did was cut a small section off the base of the mount and weld a washer to it so the hole now lined up, i then added a small rubber bush to the top of the radiator to help with the vibrations.

Ok so now the bonnet catch can be re-fitted and the radiator secured in place, i opted to use the MGF fan as it is slightly larger but you could use the original metro one if you wanted. The bottom hose will go straight on (mgf radiator outlet is slightly larger) but it will push on it you are patient.

Next us is the top hose, first up i found it best to cut the metro top hose in half you you just have a 90* bend then I made a new top hard hose with the header tank outlet, but you can do what you want really here depending on what hoses you have about (you could use the original metro top hose but it was under a bit of stress so i just made a new on)

Now all you are left to do is fill it up the coolant system, bleed it through and drive it, conveniently the radiator bleed valve sits perfectly through where the old passenger side radiator mount was, then you have the bleed valve just above the gearbox and finally the one one the pipes that go through to the heater matrix.

Here are some photos of the new radiator installed, as you can see it doesnt looks like it has just been thrown in and isnt to bad to install, i dont know if it was needed but i also cut about 5mm off the bonnet locking pin just to be safe in case someone slammed the bonnet as i didnt want it smashing the top of the radiator.

111Sli
Posted 30/8/2013 6:05 PM (#702686 - in reply to #702685)
Subject: RE: Guide to fitting an MGF Radiator and keep the bonnet catch.

Transport Guru

MP Moderator

So as a standard VVC set up with MGF rad, where does your temp gauge sit as 'normal'?
Tomf
Posted 30/8/2013 6:08 PM (#702687 - in reply to #702685)

Regular

The gauge sits between 1/3 and below half, iv not seen it go about half on the gauge. The fan all kicks in perfectly and cuts off pretty fast. Where as with the metro radiator when i gave it some stick the gauge would go to above 3/4.
minispeedstar
Posted 31/8/2013 10:10 AM (#702716 - in reply to #702685)
Regular

How is it mounted top n/s?

I used ZR top mounts as shown...

Edited by minispeedstar 31/8/2013 10:21 AM
aquascrotum
Posted 5/11/2013 11:19 PM (#705653 - in reply to #702685)

Regular

First off thanks to Tom for a good thread... Have got my rad fitted incl. using custom mounts and MGF bushes for the top mounts.

Am left with a bit of a quandrary with the solid top pipe-if I make a new one or extend the existing, am I just looking for steel pipe or does it need to be something particular?
Dave 20VTRO
Posted 8/11/2013 7:29 PM (#705774 - in reply to #702685)
Elite Veteran

Can someone make this a sticky?, it would save all the posts/questions on how to fit
one of these rads and whether the bonnet lock can be kept etc etc.
gazz0788
Posted 29/9/2015 7:31 PM (#719688 - in reply to #705653)
New user

If ur making any water pipe work it does preferably need to be made out of a non ferrous metal for example stainless or aluminium I used small stainless exhaust pipe it stops the pipe rusting on the inside. Hope this helps
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software