Metropower Portal
Metropower Portal
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Flame red GTI restoration & my 1.1c metro daily
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Gallery-> Members' JournalsMessage format

Frijz
Posted 24/2/2015 6:28 AM (#717097)
Subject: Flame red GTI restoration & my 1.1c metro daily

New user

So for a while now i"ve thought I should start one of these. Going to use this to show off both my cars as one is on the road currently with a few tasteful mods and the GTI is going to be a very long restoration process,.

First off the GTI, current spec:

Engine:
1.8 solid cam
Powerflow custom de-cat exhaust system, receipts show the previous owner paid more to get the exhaust on than I paid for the whole car so happy days
Heat soaking cone filter
Some form of immobiliser bypass and a chip I'm unsure about

Exterior:
Pretty horrifically prepared in a mix of reds and primer
All GTI bits present like splitter and skirts
Only one spoiler cap missing
Rust holes on a lot of the underside, top isn't too bad
Bad attempt at a smooth boot and sun roof cover plate

Interior:
Most of it is chucked in the car bar GTI seats, got door cards
Badly attacked dashboard
More holes to the outside world

Had it up and running which is a plus side, took it for a little spin around the yard and god its quick. Engine struggles to start but will be dropping the subframe so will give it a very thorough once over.
That's most of it in its current state and the plan is to try and restore it to its original condition with either a 1.8 or a standard 1.4. Own a rover 100 that will be chopped up to donate its panels and will most likely be replacing every panel on the GTI.

Next post will be the spec and pictures of my 1.1c daily. Enjoy

Edited by Frijz 24/2/2015 6:32 AM
Frijz
Posted 24/2/2015 7:12 AM (#717099 - in reply to #717097)
Subject: RE: Flame red GTI restoration & my Henley blue 1.1c Metro daily

New user

Firstly apologies for poor picture quality, waiting on a new phone so the ipad has to suffice for now.
Now for my daily driver, a Henley blue 1.1c Rover Metro. Picked this car up off gumtree as a non runner early September, originally only purchased it to nick the mk3 front end off of and the 1.1c centre caps and then was going to break the rest but it just looked too complete to bother. There was no real indication of what was up with it so played around with the carb first then realised when we put fuel directly into the carb it fired so figured it was the fuel pump. Replaced that and a fully working car again! Arches weren't in too good condition and have only been half repaired just to get it through the MOT but will be replacing them before the next, a couple more rust patches that need sorting as well but nothing that could scare anyone away.

First pic I have of it when it arrived at ours

Along with bodywork to pass its MOT I decided to focus on the interior as I do a lot of miles in my car with college and work so thought making the interior a nice place to be would be a good start. First off was I painted the dash black.

After the dash was painted it went through its MOT first time and I have done a couple of things up to now that have changed it a fair bit. The car also reached 60k and I believe its on the original head gasket!

List of mods:

Interior:
Black dash with stickerbomb surround
Black GTA carpet
GTA clocks with rev counter
MG ZR half leather front seats (hope to get rears covered too)
Black A pillars, black headlining, black covered sunvisors, black plastics
AX centre console with AUX and usb sockets
Astra rear cupholder
Subwoofer in spare wheel well with some 5x7 speakers in the rear standard shelfs (just about fits)

Exterior:
Lowered and individualised
Wide GTA steels with original 1.1c centre caps
MK3 golf splitter cut down and chopped a bit

No engine mods as of yet as its only a 1.1 carb, need to replace parts of the exhaust as they are blowing and a bit undecided about using the powerflow one off the GTI
Lots of pics to follow as current ones aren't very up to date and plenty more goodies and mods still to add, with a couple of what I think are Metro firsts
mini-mad-craig
Posted 24/2/2015 11:20 AM (#717101 - in reply to #717097)
Subject: RE: Flame red GTI restoration & my 1.1c metro daily

Elite Veteran

Head gasket only really became a problem on 1.4 16v cars and larger so I'm not surprised on that obe.

A nice tidy little tro though
Frijz
Posted 24/2/2015 1:08 PM (#717103 - in reply to #717097)

New user

So like I said would update this today so both cars are the same on here. Got the GTI started and running again today before starting to strip of exhaust brakes and ARBS, quick little vid of the powerflow exhaust

Then this is how my 1.1c sits currently. Pics of black interior parts too. Used VHT vinyl dye for headlining, expensive but worked a treat http://www.vhtpaint.com/products/vinyldye/

Still to do:
Suspension needs a little more fluid in as its a tad low and not very high pressure yet
Recover rear bench with ZR half leather fabric
Paint/purchase last few black plastic parts to replace grey
Paint front bumper black
Finish refurbishing the original 1.1c rear bumper
Sort exhaust, (maybe put the powerflow on)
Thinking of fitting a rear wiper as it is my daily and I live down muddy country lanes
Possibly add a spoiler and other GTI parts (splitter and skirts)
Finish off some secret mods
Morey
Posted 24/2/2015 4:07 PM (#717104 - in reply to #717097)

Events Organiser

MP Admin

Very nice, good to see someone dedicated who is local!

Ought to come say hello one day, me and my mate have 2 metros each and both live in street!
Frijz
Posted 24/2/2015 5:28 PM (#717106 - in reply to #717104)

New user

Cheers mate, will definitely try and pop by or if you're ever down halfords on a weekend pop in and ask for me. Will be going for pol so if a couple of you are convoying up me and the old man will tag along.
111Sli
Posted 24/2/2015 5:35 PM (#717107 - in reply to #717097)

Transport Guru

MP Moderator

Nice car!! There are good non shagged Metros out there for pennies but you have to hunt. Hope it serves you well
Morey
Posted 25/2/2015 8:41 AM (#717124 - in reply to #717097)

Events Organiser

MP Admin

Sure thing. You could meet us at junction 23 on the morning. Do be warned though we like to get  there early as im the person who sets it up lol
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software