Metropower Portal
Metropower Portal
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

AAAAArrrrggghhh :(
Moderators:

Technical Area-> TechnicalMessage format

soj
Posted 22/2/2006 5:11 AM (#112114)
Subject: AAAAArrrrggghhh :(

Help please !
i checked the water level on our 1.1 k series 8v (we have not had it a week yet!) and it looked strange, so i stuck my finger in and it came out black and covered in OIL!!!
So it looks like the head gasket has gone, could it be a cracked head? 65000 miles?
I have a haynes manual, they rate the head gasket job as a 4 star, quite difficult job, but is it?
They (Haynes)seem to go into much better detail with the 16v motor!
also i`d like to know, is the 1.4 8v head exactly the same? will it fit?
i thought it wouldn`t, but i`m told it will
I suppose i should just replace the gasket any advice from you people who have done it before?
Anyone know of a garage around the Burton - on - Trent area who would do it at a reasonable cost?
please help this is my boy`s first car he`s gutted and i feel sort or responsible cause i said yep it looks right! sh*te how wrong e.t.c.
rule no1 = **be positive**
Still, if we fix it it should be o.k. for another few 0000 miles at least and then we know it`s been done also it was very cheap so as long as we can fix it it`s not a problem! it`s experience for the kid, (and me, i`ve never done a "k" before!)
and it`s a Metro so we both love the thing!
there ....so can anybody help ..................please!

Edited by soj 22/2/2006 5:12 AM

dam_buster
Posted 22/2/2006 5:38 AM (#112115 - in reply to #112114)
Subject: RE: AAAAArrrrggghhh :(

Expert

i just did my first head gasket change on my gti with help from a forum member,

i learnt alot from that,

go to any garages near you, and get some quotes,

or ask real nice on here, some1 will help im sure

sorry i cant be any REAL help

--

you said you havent done a k-series before?

have you done a head gasket change before then?

also a tip

rover recommend replacing the thermostat, water pump and cam belt when changing a head gasket.

r114gta
Posted 22/2/2006 5:50 AM (#112116 - in reply to #112114)

Expert

It cost me £200 to have mine replaced, but mine was taken away somewhere, arranged by my dad (friend of a friend job) so I presume it should have cost more.

harry
Posted 22/2/2006 6:01 AM (#112117 - in reply to #112114)
Veteran

a headgasket change is actually fairly straight forward, assuming nothing is too siezed up.

drain the oil, drain the coolant, set the engine to 'safe' position, remove alternator and timing belt, remove air filter assembly, dizzy cap and leads from plugs, undo inlet manifold from head and tie back against the bulkhead, remove exhaust manifold, remove cam cover, remove camshaft (cant remember if its in the way of the headbolts on an 8v) undo the headbolts 1/4 turn at a time in the reverse of the tightening sequence untill thees no pressure on them. tap sides of head with a rubber mallet. lift off.

definatly get the head skimmed, and give it a good once over. get it pressure tested if youre not sure.

refitting is the reverse of removal

seriously, its only a couple of hours work to get the head off, the only tricky bits are usually getting the crankshaft pulley bolt undone, the timing belt tensioner and some of the manifold bolts are a bit fittly to get to.

soj
Posted 22/2/2006 7:33 AM (#112127 - in reply to #112114)

Thanks all
i`ve had a look and as i don`t have my own garage i`m thinking it might be better if i get it fixed by a garage, it`s bloody cold today!
........so anybody know of a garage in or near Burton on Trent please up to Swad, Ashby e.t.c. or a home mechanic with his own garage e.t.c.
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software