Metropower Portal
Metropower Portal
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How to lift top arm?
Moderators:

Technical Area-> TechnicalMessage format

MettyMatty
Posted 31/1/2016 6:09 PM (#721017)
Subject: How to lift top arm?
Regular

Hi,

I had a bottom ball joint snap on me which led to an inner CV being destroyed which I posted in another thread a while ago. I've finally got round to fixing it and dropped the whole brake and hub assembly off as one. The problem I've got now is that there isn't enough clearance between the top arm and the top ball joint to fit the ball joint stub into the top arm because the pressure in the suspension is pushing the arm down.

The obvious answer is to de-pressurise the hydragas can but I don't want to do this as I had a job getting the fluid in the cans in the first place.

I can get a piece of scaffold tube over the top arm and lever it up but I obviously can't get the ball joint bolted up with the bar in the way.

I have limited hand tools and not much to improvise with as the car is in the middle of nowhere. - Any ideas please?

Thanks

GTaddz
Posted 31/1/2016 8:02 PM (#721018 - in reply to #721017)
Subject: RE: How to lift top arm?

Expert

Take the weight by jacking up the wishbone and sick a block in between the top arm and bump stop. Lower the jack, release the bottom ball joint and the whole lot should swing out.

DotMatrix
Posted 1/2/2016 3:21 PM (#721024 - in reply to #721017)
Subject: RE: How to lift top arm?

Expert

I did something similar recently when changing a ball-join on an A-series. lifted the top arms using a jack which gave me enough room to fit the hub. if this method doesn't work for you or you are afraid the car might fall of the jack while you do the work you can always let out the pressure in the element and then refill it afterwards.
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software