Metropower Portal
Metropower Portal
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

engine position
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Technical Area-> TechnicalMessage format

kilmory
Posted 22/4/2016 9:10 AM (#721893)
Subject: engine position

hi folks since putting the pg1 box in my metro its kicked the engine forward a good bit and has made a noticeable difference to the handling of the car and removed a lot of clearance with the rad, ive noticed that there are 2 sets of mounting holes on the pg1 i have a spare engine and box and it mounts up ok in this position couple of different dowels and bolts and it goes on ok the offside drive shaft wont fit without removing a bit of the engine mount casting on the block but there seems to be enough material to do it,has anybody tried this before? is it possible?.thanks in advance.
Dave 20VTRO
Posted 22/4/2016 11:41 AM (#721899 - in reply to #721893)
Subject: RE: engine position
Elite Veteran

kilmory - 23/4/2016 8:10 AM

hi folks since putting the pg1 box in my metro its kicked the engine forward a good bit and has made a noticeable difference to the handling of the car and removed a lot of clearance with the rad, ive noticed that there are 2 sets of mounting holes on the pg1 i have a spare engine and box and it mounts up ok in this position couple of different dowels and bolts and it goes on ok the offside drive shaft wont fit without removing a bit of the engine mount casting on the block but there seems to be enough material to do it,has anybody tried this before? is it possible?.thanks in advance.

When the engine is correctly mounted to the gearbox, it actually sits slightly more upright when compared to a R65 box,
The R65 box tilts the engine forward by 15deg, whereas the PG1 box tilts the engine forward by 12deg, this is why, when fitting
a PG1 box, you have to use the engine oil dipstick that the box type is fitted as the oil level is higher up the
sump where the dipstick goes, (its about 8mm), Iirc the R65 uses a all yellow plastic dipstick, or the wire one with a brown
indicator tip, and the PG1 uses a wire dipstick with a green tip.
Either way, you shouldn't have to be machining anything of the engine to get the driveshaft pot-joint to fit, so it seems like
you are using the wrong mounting holes.
kilmory
Posted 22/4/2016 12:36 PM (#721901 - in reply to #721893)

when i fitted the box i used a mgtf n/s subframe arm a tf sump tiebar and on the o/s arm i cut the mount off and rewelded it 20mm forward and used a 10mm spacer below the arm to emulate the way it sat in a tf frame the gearbox sits perfect with no plunge probs on the shaft etc.have i gone about it the right way by doing this?.
Dave 20VTRO
Posted 22/4/2016 1:00 PM (#721902 - in reply to #721901)
Elite Veteran

kilmory - 23/4/2016 11:36 AM

when i fitted the box i used a mgtf n/s subframe arm a tf sump tiebar and on the o/s arm i cut the mount off and rewelded it 20mm forward and used a 10mm spacer below the arm to emulate the way it sat in a tf frame the gearbox sits perfect with no plunge probs on the shaft etc.have i gone about it the right way by doing this?.

The rh arm use the std metro subframe arm and use the metro triangle plate (on the block)
and the metro upper mount/bush assy.
Use the MGF/TF lh subframe arm, when fitting the gearbox mount brkt, allow for the 3deg
difference (12+15deg) between r65 and PG1 mounts as you are mix/matching mounts, I did it when I welded the zr cable clutch cup
to the mount, I removed the 2 captive nuts on the std MGf mount and then I welded (zr 1.8) cable cup brkt with the captive nuts on that
and angled (rotated) the bracket back a bit (a few mm) to suit the new angle and filed the outer holes where the 2 long mounting bolts go through
so as the gearbox mount rubber bolt is in the middle of the rubber. The lower tie bar arm to use is the rh upper tie bar from a zr PG1 car as the bolt centres you need on this are 100mm, so either mod a mgf/tf
sump tie bar to get 100mm centres, or fit a upper rh zr tie bar.
This setup means you use a std metro dipstick as you have angled the engine to 15deg as per std metro when using the metro rh subby arm
and mount.

Edited by Dave 20VTRO 22/4/2016 1:06 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software